Can You Freeze Mango Puree?
Mango is a delicious fruit, full of vitamins and minerals. It can take a little while to ripen, but if you have mangos that are starting to go overripe, you might be wondering what you can do with them. One option is to make them into mango puree. Can you freeze mango puree? Take a look at this post to find out.
How To Make Mango Puree
Mango puree is super easy to make and is a great way to use up any extra mangos that you think might not get eaten before they begin to deteriorate
- Wash and peel your mangos and then chop them into half-inch chunks. Add approx 2 TSP of water per mango and then blend, either in a food processor or using a hand blender. A hand blender typically gives a smoother texture.
- If your puree is a little thick then add some more .water until the desired texture is achieved. You can add a little icing sugar (powdered sugar) to sweeten if needed.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before using. Mango puree will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge once made.
Can You Freeze Mango Puree?
Yes, you can freeze mango puree. Make sure it’s in an airtight container before freezing. The taste is not affected but you may find the puree is a little thinner than before, once defrosted so it’s best used for smoothies.
Frozen mango puree also makes a great weaning food for babies and toddlers.
How To Freeze Mango Puree?
Freezing mango puree is easy, just follow the simple steps below.
- Pour the mango into an airtight container, such as a plastic tub, glass jar, or zip baggy.
- If you want to freeze the mango puree in smaller portions then you could use a silicone ice cube tray. Once the mango puree is frozen solid, you can pop out the cubes and move them to a different container. This means you can defrost one or two cubes at a time as and when you need them, which can help prevent food waste.
- Label and date the mango puree so you know when it was made and when it should be used by.
How Long Does Mango Puree Last In The Freezer?
Mango puree will last for 3-4 months in the freezer. While it will still be safe to eat after this time, you may find that taste and colour has started to deteriorate a little. After this time, it’s better used in smoothies rather than something where it’s the main component.
How To Defrost Mango Puree
Defrosting mango puree is easy, simply place it in the fridge for 3-4 hours, depending on the portion size. You can defrost it overnight if you want to make sure it will be completely defrosted by the time you wanted to use it.
If you’ve made mango puree using an ice cube tray and are defrosting cubes, these should only take 1-2 hours to defrost.
Once defrosted, the mango puree should be used up within 48 hours.
5 Ways To Use Mango Puree
Now you know you can make, freeze and defrost mango puree, you might be wondering what mango puree can actually be used for.
Here are five ideas.
Topping for Granola or Yogurt – Mango puree is perfect for adding some zing to your breakfast.
Weaning Food for Babies – Mango puree is great for introducing babies (aged 6months +) to new foods. Just ensure you don’t add any sugar when making the puree if this is what you plan to use it for.
Smoothies – One of the best things about making smoothies with frozen mango puree cubes is that you can pop them straight into the blender, no need to defrost!
Cheesecake – Mango puree looks fabulous spread across the top of cheesecake for a bright pop of colour. You can also it into a plain cheesecake mixture to make mango cheesecake.
Cake Filling – Mango puree can be added to cakes, for example, you could add some mango puree in place of jam in a victoria sandwich style cake to give it a tropical fruit twist.